Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Single in Seoul

So... yesterday was Black Day in Korea. No, Alexis, you didn't miss the Sistas&Brothas of Seoul's annual throw down. And no, it's not the day after Thanksgiving where Koreans buy a bunch of shit.

Instead, Black Day marks the tragedy of being alone and single on Black Day in Korea-- a country, apparently where they take their self-loathing seriously.They mourn the death of their sex lives by wearing black clothes and eating black food.

I'm going to repeat that because it bears repeating. They eat black food.

This is a day where people are supposed to celebrate something they're unhappy about. As Lewis Black would say: don't think about that too hard or blood might shoot out your nose! It boggles my mind to think of how this tradition got started.

Hey, you-- single, lonely person, incapable of attracting the opposite sex-- you have nobody. Here's some R.E.M, track number 4-- "Everybody Hurts." Put on this black shirt. And here's some black shit. Eat your feelings.


My co-teacher excitedly holds up her new little black daily planner.

"Nice," I say. "Where'd you get it?"

"Yesterday, the bookstore was giving them out for free if you wear black."

"But you weren't wearing black. Anyways, you have a boyfriend."

"I know. I told him 'wait in corner.' I take my camera. It's black."

I scold her for stealing from the bitter and self-loathing. But I guess it's just as well. Giving out little black books to self-loathing singles is just a mean joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment